Whole Grain Liege Waffle Recipe
makes 7-9 Gaufres Liège
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water (about 105°F, feeling like bath water to the touch)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Belgian pearl sugar
- Mix yeast, sugar, and water together. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, combine salt and flours together.
- Pour proofed yeast into the center of your stand mixer and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time until combined.
- Slowly add butter until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon until combined. At this point, the dough should be very wet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size (about 1.5-2 hours) in a warm, draft-free place.
- Gently fold Belgian pearl sugar into dough.
- Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat waffle iron. Scoop a 2″ ball into the center of your waffle iron. Allow waffles to cook until golden brown.
- Cool for about 1 minute before serving warm!