Waffles are traditionally sweet but this savory Cheddar waffle will delight your taste buds. These waffles are perfect as a stand alone snack or served with a hearty soup. The recipe has been adapted from one shared by Cuisinart. So simple, addictive, delicious.
Ingredients (Recipe yields 16 waffles)
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons crushed Belgian pearl sugar powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp Cheddar
1. Combine flour, cornmeal, Belgian pearl sugar, baking soda, salt, mustard powder and pepper in a large bowl; whisk to combine.
2. Add buttermilk, eggs, and oil; whisk to combine. Stir in chives and cheddar. Allow the batter to rest for 5 minutes.
3. Pre-heat Belgian waffle maker. Once heated, pour heaping spoonful of batter onto the center of each corner of the waffle maker. Close the cover and allow to cook. Monitor for doneness and preferred toastiness.
The waffles are best right off the iron. The recipe yields a generous amount of waffles and they are quick to turn out so you can easily make enough for a large gathering. These also freeze nicely if you’re baking for less people. Enjoy!